Explore Monet’s France with Paula McWaters
On a visit to Claude Monet's gardens at Giverny, his paintings will seem to spring to life in front of your eyes. These enchanting gardens inspired the founder of impressionism and continue to enchant visitors from all over the world decades later.
You'll go on a guided tour of Giverny on this trip with the special company of gardening expert Paula McWaters, who'll give an illuminating talk and Q&A on the gardens prior to your visit.
Lovingly restored, the gardens are bursting with poppies, lupins, delphiniums and peonies. Arched bridges painted apple green are adorned with wisteria and towering weeping willows frame the iconic waterlily ponds.
The perfect complement to Giverny is the Musée de l'Orangerie in Paris, where you'll see Monet's breathtaking series of murals, Les Nymphéas, which cover almost 200m and depict various scenes from his flower garden at Giverny.
Also on the itinerary is a visit to the Château de Chantilly, with its extensive collection of fine art and its gardens designed by Le Nôtre, and the pleasant market town of Senlis, where you can enjoy a leisurely stroll through the old town's cobbled streets, lined with mansions from the 17th and 18th centuries.
Throughout the trip, you'll be based at the four-star Château de Montvillargenne, the largest château hotel in France, set in a 15 acre park and surrounded by the historic Chantilly Forest. You'll dine in the hotel restaurant each night, enjoying fine wine and quintessentially French fare in an elegant dining room overlooking the garden.
Reasons to book
Stay in a 19th-century Château
Hear from Paula McWaters
Tour the Gardens of Giverny
Musée de l'Orangerie
Château de Chantilly
Your expert guide
- Three nights' dinner with wine, bed and breakfast at the Château de Montvillargenne in the original château building
- Return standard class rail travel from London St Pancras International to Paris. (First Class upgrades and regional connections also available on request)
- Comfortable coach transport in France
- Visits to the Orangerie Museum, Monet's Garden, the Château de Chantilly, Senlis and the Parc Bagatelle
- Services of a tour manager
- Talk and Q&A session and guided tour of Monet Gardens in the company of Paula McWaters
You'll take the Eurostar from London St Pancras to Paris Gare du Nord, from where you'll transfer to the Musée de l'Orangerie des Tuileries to see the museum's impressive collection.
The highlight is undoubtedly the series of two-metre high murals entitled Les Nymphéas, which Claude Monet installed between 1914 and 1918, when he was at the height of his career.
In addition to the Nymphéas, the Orangerie offers a fabulous collection of masterpieces from the Jean Walter and Paul Guillaume Collection, featuring Cézanne, Renoir, Picasso, Rousseau, Matisse, Derain, Modigliani, Soutine, Utrillo and Laurencin.
Later you'll travel out to the charming town of Chantilly, situated in the heart of the Chantilly Forest, and check-in to your hotel, the Château de Montvillargenne.
In the evening once you have settled into your room join our party for a welcome glass of Kir in the bar before dinner.
Day2Château de Chantilly, SenlisSenlis, France
Enjoy your buffet breakfast at Château de Montvillargenne this morning before travelling to the nearby Château de Chantilly, a magnificent building which stands on a rock surrounded by water. Your visit will include the sumptuously decorated Grands Appartements, dating from the 17th-19th centuries.
In the afternoon you'll transfer to Senlis, a quintessential Picardy market town, where you'll have some free time to wander round the shops and perhaps enjoy lunch from a pâtisserie.
This evening over dinner you will enjoy an informative talk and Q&A with Paula McWaters.
Day3Giverny and Monet’s gardenGiverny, France
This morning following breakfast you'll depart for Giverny and the world famous house and gardens of Claude Monet for a visit with Paula, who'll give her insights as you explore.
You'll arrive early at Giverny, at a time when the gardens are at their most tranquil. Both the house and gardens have been lovingly and accurately restored - you can almost believe that the family have just gone out to walk in the garden.
You will go on a guided tour and also have plenty of time to explore this marvellous garden at your leisure and enjoy a light lunch (not included).
Following our visit we will enjoy free time in Giverny along with an opportunity to visit the little church where Monet is buried before returning to the hotel for dinner.
Day4Parc de BagatelleParis, France
After breakfast you'll travel to Paris for a visit to the Parc de Bagatelle situated at the heart of the Bois de Boulogne. Created in 1775, the park and its chateau were built in 64 days after a wager between Queen Marie-Antoinette and her brother-in-law, the Count of Artois.
Along with an Orangerie and some classic French parterres, Bagatelle is famous for its rose garden, laid out in 1907, and the very essence of Gallic charm and style.
After your visit you'll have some free time to shop and sightsee at your leisure, perhaps visiting some of Paris' wonderful art galleries, churches, and museums.
In the evening, you'll return to the Gare du Nord for your Eurostar journey back to London.
Brought to you by
For general information, click here.
To view TS tours as agent for Brightwater Holidays’ supplier’s terms and conditions click here.
* From price is per person, based on two people sharing a room, subject to availability. Price and itinerary correct at time of print but may be subject to change. Single supplement £295. Deposit £250. Local charges such as tourist tax may apply. Offers are not valid in conjunction with any other offers or promotions. In the case of unforeseen circumstances, expert(s) may be substituted, and any expert-led events may be subject to change. Expert(s) will not join you for your full trip duration unless otherwise stated. Travel insurance is not included and should be taken out at time of booking. Images used may not reflect your actual tour experience. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Travel Ltd and Brightwater Holidays (ATOL 4498).