Visit Europe’s prettiest Christmas markets as you sail the Rhine
There's almost nothing more festive than a traditional Christmas market, with sparkling fairy lights, pretty wooden stall chalets sprinkled with snow, and the heavenly scent of mulled wine, roast almonds and spiced cider filling the air.
This special Christmas-time cruise will take you to several of Germany's prettiest winter markets and will have you feeling festive in no time.
You'll begin your cruise in Cologne, where you'll have time to get to know this famous cathedral city. From Cologne you'll sail along the Rhine Valley. Your first stop is Rüdesheim, the centre of Rhine Romanticism, which once inspired poets and composers such as Brahms, who composed his 3rd symphony here.
Mainz is one of the oldest cities in Germany, and you'll visit its historic Christmas market on the Domplatz, set against a backdrop of the illuminated Mainz Cathedral.
You'll visit the centre of Frankfurt, where its towering Christmas tree shows it can compete with its neighbours when it comes to seasonal spirit. Pick up gifts and treats at its picturesque market like Bethmännchen, a marzipan pastry with almonds and Glühwein.
Koblenz is your next stop. This city is considered to have one of the most beautiful Christmas markets in Germany, and is one of the largest in the Rhineland.
You'll be sailing on the beautifully-appointed A-ROSA Aqua, where you'll have everything you need for a luxurious trip included. There's a sauna, fitness area, and whirlpool, extensive breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets, a range of drinks.
Reasons to book
Christmas Market in Koblenz
Mainz Christmas Market
Premium All-Inclusive river ship
- Return flights
- Transfers between airport and ship
- Accommodation in a spacious and elegant outside cabin
- English and German speaking cruise guide
- 15% discount on treatments in the onboard SPA-ROSA
- Free use of onboard facilities such as sauna, fitness centre and jacuzzi
- Nightly programme of evening entertainment
- A range of high-quality drinks, including tea, speciality coffee, soft drinks, beer, wine, sparkling wine, spirits and cocktails***
- Ample breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets, along with snacks and cakes and treats at tea and coffee time.
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Free A-ROSA App with a wide range of information about the cruise
- Excursion to Rüdesheim in Christmas splendour
- Port charges
Day1Arrive in CologneCologne, Germany
You'll start your Christmas cruise on the Rhine today, boarding your premium all-inclusive A-ROSA ship. You'll be boarding your ship in Cologne, where you can spend some time getting to know this enchanting cathedral city with its many elegant buildings and historical attractions.
You might choose to arrive one day before your cruise so that you'll have time to see all the sights, or extend your stay at the end of the trip.
Day2Rüdesheim and MainzMainz, Germany
Today you will visit Rüdesheim, the centre of Rhine Romanticism, which once inspired poets and musicians, including Brahms.
From a cultural point of view, the most famous place in the Rheingau has a lot to offer, including historic aristocratic estates and fortifications. Rüdesheim is also known for its winemaking, especially of aromatic Riesling wines. You may also want to stop off in one of the town's cafes to sip some delicious speciality Rüdesheimer Kaffee, an alcoholic coffee-based drink made with brandy and plenty of sugar.
You'll also visit Mainz today, a city with 2,000 years of history, making it one of the oldest cities in Germany. Traditions are fully celebrated at Christmastime at the historic Christmas market on the Domplatz, where you'll also spot the illuminated Mainz Cathedral.
Although Frankfurt is possibly better known for its business activity, it proves that it can do Christmas as well as with its tall, sparkling Christmas tree.
Between Römerberg and the historic Paulskirche down to the banks of the Main, one of the most beautiful and oldest Christmas markets in Germany takes place every winter.
There's plenty of opportunity to sample local delicacies here, with regional products such as Bethmännchen, a marzipan pastry with almonds, or hot apple wine being particularly popular.
Day4Frankfurt and KoblenzKoblenz am Rhein, Germany
Today you'll sail along the Middle Rhine Valley from Frankfurt to lovely Koblenz, at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle rivers. This stretch of the river is the true centre of Rhine Romanticism, with vine-clad slopes, palaces and castles scattered across hills, and villages nestled along the riverbanks. It is clear why this area was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2002.
On arrival in Koblenz you'll get to see why this city's Christmas market is considered one of the most beautiful on the Rhine. On Jesuitenplatz you'll find what is possibly the world's largest Advent calendar, made up of the colourfully-lit windows of the baroque town hall.
Your Christmas cruise comes to an end today as your ship docks once again in Cologne. You might wish to extend your trip to see more of this beautiful city before heading home full of the Christmas spirit.
The A-ROSA AQUA has 99 cabins, two with a connecting door per deck. Enjoy onboard activities including putting green, shuffleboard and a giant chessboard. There is a whirlpool, gym and the Spa is a special place to relax and rejuvenate. You’ll be able to dine indoors or on the sun deck when the weather is good. The bar and lounge provide the perfect space to enjoy an excellent schedule of nightly entertainment.
Brought to you by
* From price is per person, based on two people sharing a lead in cabin, subject to availability and based on 10 December 2023 departure date. Price and itinerary correct at time of print but may be subject to change. Single supplement not available. Full payment required at time of booking. ***top branded drinks and champagne come at a supplement. Local charges such as tourist tax may apply. Travel insurance is not included and should be taken out at time of booking. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. Images used may not reflect your actual tour experience. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Travel Ltd (ATOL bonded).
* From price is per person, based on two people sharing a lead in cabin, subject to availability and based on 10 December 2024 departure date. Price and itinerary correct at time of print but may be subject to change. Single supplement not available. Deposit 25% plus air fare. **book by 30 November 2023. ***top branded drinks and champagne come at a supplement. Local charges such as tourist tax may apply. Travel insurance is not included and should be taken out at time of booking. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. Images used may not reflect your actual tour experience. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Travel Ltd (ATOL bonded).